Monday, September 29, 2014

Review:Trust



Rating:



Title: Trust
Author: Terry Towers
Genre: Dark Erotic Romance
Heat: 4.5 stars
Source: ARC provided by the author







Cover:5 stars
Characters: 4 stars
Plot:4 stars
Heat: 4.5 stars
Freshness: 3 stars
Addictiveness: 4 stars
Total: 4 stars 


Gwen Anderson is walking home when she is abducted. Her life will never be the same, she will never be the person she has dreamed of becoming. Now she is a slave being trained as a sexual slave. 
"I'm no longer a person. I'm a commodity. Gwen Anderson is dead and slave number 342 has taken her place."
I'd never feel my mother's warm embrace. I'd never go out behind the garage and shoot hoops with my father. I'd never find true love, or get married, or have children or have the life I'd always dreamed for myself. It. Was. All. Gone." 
 Lance Winters has an agenda of his own. He only needs to follow his rule of no emotions involved. His plan is foolproof, until she arrives.
"Things were all falling into place. But then she arrived... She tests my patience and my will. She angers and frustrates me, make the darkness within scream to be released. I want to ignore her, but I can't. I need to let her go, but can't seem to allow her to be sent away. Damn her, she's going to ruin everything..."
"I barely knew her, but as far as I was concerned she was mine and God help anyone who hurt her."

Trust has a good pace and explores the psychological part of a couple with Stockholm syndrome. It has a dual-first-person-pov, and switches often between the hostage and the captor thoughts and emotions.  

I really like the story, but I'm still in doubt of calling it dark erotica. I guess I would label it light-dark erotic romance, because even though abduction and human trafficking are part of non-consent material, the main couple's relationship is never really non-con. Yes, there are others situations on the book that are non-con, but the author never focus on the description of such acts, instead the main focus is always on the feelings of the characters.

What really works is the dual-point-of-view. I love understanding characters, and in such a psychological book, it was a great bonus to see both sides of the coin. Also, the ending is really good. It's not unrealistic, where everything becomes pretty perfect and their life is a fairy-tale. It's the best for the situation, but not the ideal for anyone.

What doesn't really work for me in the story is how easy Gwen fall for her captor. I know capture-bonding is real common in real life, but checking out her captor on the first day of abduction, is going a bit too far. Another thing that has me taking out half-a-star from my review is the ending. I find the last part of the epilogue unnecessary. In my opinion, it doesn't really fit anywhere.

I would love to read more from this author. In fact, I'm already looking at some of her books and trying to pick which should be my next read. 

I recommend this book for those that enjoys a mental book with lots os steamy scenes as a bonus.

"It wasn't goodbye, it was until we meet again."

Review by:






No comments:

Post a Comment